AHEADStart Online Course - Spring 2014 Term Now Enroling
Spring Term Runs April 2nd - May14th with Introductary Day Seminar on April 1st
Do you have students with Disabilities in your college? Are you putting the right accommodations in place to support them and to be legally compliant? AHEADSTART, is an AHEAD blended learning training course dealing with the topic of what is a Reasonable Accommodation for students with a disability in further and higher education? This interactive course will provide professional staff, such as teachers and careers advisors, with a systematic approach to support students and practical templates to carry out the Assessment of Needs required to make an application the National Access
Office for the additional funding to support students with disabilities on level 5 and 6 courses. The Assessment of Needs system will also provide evidence of compliance with equality and disability legislative requirements.
It is an opportunity for professional staff to up-skill their practice to be inclusive of students with disabilities and to gain confidence in their decision making. The number of students with disabilities in education is increasing year on year and educational institutions are legally responsible under International and Irish law for ensuring that they are included and accommodated. The question for the educational institution is, what is a reasonable accommodation?
The course is blended including a full day Seminar followed by a 16-20 online hours leading to the following learning outcomes:
- Understanding the effect of a range of disabilities in education
- Understanding the legal requirements for the institution
- Understanding what is a reasonable accommodation
- The practical tools and templates to carry out a needs assessment
- Information about the application system for the National Access Funding for students with disabilities on PLC courses
- Positive solutions in teaching practice to include students with disability
- Information on the latest Technology solutions for use in the classroom
For more info on course structure and other important info, visit the FAQs page or view the full terms and conditions of enrolment.
Cost: €240 per person