AHEAD Start Online Course
Thursday, 7th September 2017
Do you have students with Disabilities in your college?
Are you putting the right accommodations in place to support them and to be legally compliant?
AHEADSTART, is AHEAD's blended learning training course on supporting students with disabilities in further and higher education. The number of students with disabilities in education is increasing year on year and educational institutions are legally responsible under Irish law for ensuring that they are included and accommodated. This interactive course will provide professional staff, such as teachers, careers advisors or dedicated support staff with a systematic approach to supporting students with disabilities including practical templates to carry out Needs Assessments. These Assessments are required to make an application the National Access Office for the additional funding to support students with disabilities in 3rd Level Courses and provide evidence of compliance with equality and disability legislative requirements.
The course is run twice yearly (autumn and spring) and takes a blended learning approach, which includes a full day (optional) pre-term seminar, coupled with an 18-22 hour online course completed over a 6-8 week term. The online part can be completed anywhere you have access to a computer, internet connection and headphones (see the full requirements in our FAQ) and can be done at times that suit your work schedule (within the specified term time). The interactive online part is broken into four modules:
- Describe recent changes in relation to disability and education
- Explain some of the factors which have brought about these changes
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the social policy regarding the inclusion of people with disabilities in Ireland
- Explain the development of current theory on models of disability
- Understand the key legislation concerning disability and education and reflect on how that legislation impacts on your role
- Explain what constitutes a disability
- Distinguish between different types of disability
- Identify the communication needs of people with disabilities and be aware of the appropriate language and behaviour when working with people with disabilities
- Have a better understanding of the impact a disability might have on a student’s learning
- Understand of the meaning of a reasonable accommodation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various types of supports you can put in place to help students with disabilities.
- Describe the advantages of various types of assistive technology for students with disabilities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the types of supports which might be appropriate for students with various types of disabilities.
- Understand the funding mechanism currently used to fund supports in the Irish 3rd level system
- Identify the relevant information in a Dyslexic student’s educational psychologist’s report
- Understand the importance of a needs assessment in identifying student supports
- Describe the various stages in the needs assessment process
- Carry out a needs assessment
Staff of AHEAD Member Organisations get huge reductions on this course.
AHEAD Member Rate: €250 per person
Standard Rate: €450 per person
To see if your institution is an AHEAD member and/or enquire about the costs/benefits of membership, please contact our membership co-ordinator Cass Horton on (01) 7164396.