How WAM Works?
There are two aspects to WAM, the Employer Network and the WAM Placement.
The Employer Network
The Employer Network is made up of WAM Leaders and the WAM Community. WAM Leaders are companies which offer placements for graduates with disabilities and the WAM Community for employers who want to keep in touch with WAM by attending events and training.
Companies become WAM Leaders when they offer paid placements or internships for graduates with disabilities. These roles must be a minimum of 6 months in duration and full time. They are mainstream graduate level placements and offer an opportunity for the employer to gain from an enthusiastic, skilled employee while the graduate gains work experience relevant to their qualification - all underpinned by the support of the WAM team.
It also offers employers huge opportunities to learn about how to support and get the best from employees with disabilities with the support of our online and offline training programmes which form part of the placement process.
The following is a brief overview of the placement process
- Employers meet with WAM to discuss the potential role available. This role must be ring-fenced for graduates with disabilities through The WAM Programme.
- WAM undertakes all advertising on our WAMWorks Database. Graduates must apply for the role via this database.
- Employers conduct all CV screening and interviewing in line with their mainstream practices ensuring reasonable accommodation is put in place for graduates who have specified them. AHEAD can provide disability equality or pre-interview training if required.
- When successful candidates are identified by the employer, WAM undertakes a Needs Assessment process in order to identify any workplace supports required by the graduate in line with the Employment Equality Act.
- WAM provides pre-placement training both face-to-face and online with the graduate, manager and mentors prior to the commencement of all placements.
- WAM supports all parties involved in the placement process from the beginning of the placement until its completion.