Conference 2019 - Call for Papers Released!
Wednesday, 20th June 2018
Title: Journey to Oz -Travelling Together Towards Inclusive Education
When: March 20th & 21st 2019
Where: Croke Park Conference Centre, Dublin
In the classic story The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy leads her charges through the Land of Oz to the Emerald City seeking a hearing from the all-powerful wizard. They hope to convince the wizard to use his powers to grant them all something they believe they are missing – the scarecrow, a heart; the lion, courage; and the tin man, a brain. When the wizard turns out to be a charlatan, all seems to be lost but with Dorothy’s encouragement and support, her charges realise through the journey they have made, that they already have the traits they wished for inside of them.
Students and staff in our further and higher education system are also on significant journeys - students are travelling the road to graduation and staff are navigating the move towards mainstreamed inclusion on campus. Much like in Oz, they find that the journey itself is more important than the final destination.
This international conference will ask:
- How can our college services respond to an increasingly diverse student population and help them to release the potential within as they travel the yellow brick road towards graduation?
- How can our teachers and academics, recognising the journey that they themselves are on, adapt their practice in our evolving inclusive institutions and like Dorothy, be the catalyst our diverse students need to help them realise their aspirations?
- How do our Disability Service Staff share their knowledge, expertise and best practice with academics and wider student services to help them to ‘find their way home’ in this changing landscape?
This conference is for teaching staff, student services staff and all others in the campus infrastructure interested in an inclusive approach. If students are your concern, then there’s something here for you!
Call for Contributors
This conference welcomes national and international contributions from students & staff across the sector on themes such as:
- Universally designed services: the evolving world of mainstreamed inclusion across campus
Contributors to this theme are likely to be (but not limited to) those working in a student facing position e.g. work in estates, library services, career guidance, international officers, career placement etc.
- Inclusive teaching and learning – role models, engaging practice, flexible curricula & creating a sense of belonging
Contributors to this theme are likely to be (but not limited to) those directly involved in teaching and learning e.g. teachers, academics, teaching and learning staff, educational developers etc.
- Inclusion is everyone’s job: sharing expertise, knowledge and responsibility across campus
Contributors to this theme are likely to be (but not limited to) those working in in disability related student support services, or any other staff involved with spreading knowledge about inclusive approaches on campus or promoting related institutional policies.
Registration will open in the coming weeks - join our mailing list to be kept informed!
Staff from AHEAD Member Institutions* - €199 (Speakers get 20% off this price)
*Most Irish HEIs and some ETBs are members (see - ahead.ie/currentmembers)
Standard Non - Member Rate - €299 (Speakers get 20% off this price)
Speakers on the programme will receive 20% off the standard registration fees above.
10 free student places allocated through our Learner Lottery (details later). Group rates available on request.